Spousal Maintenance

Free 15 Minute

Call Now

We offer professional advice relating to spousal maintenance

In circumstances where you are earning less than your former spouse or are not working at all, you may be entitled to the payment of spousal maintenance from your former spouse, such monies to be used to meet your weekly living expenses.

Spouse maintenance is for your needs, not the children’s needs, which is governed by the Department of Human Services. (please see our blog on child maintenance).

The Court will look at the justice and equity of situations, and if one partner has the capacity to assist the other financially then orders can and will be made for spousal maintenance to be paid until a certain event takes place, e.g. like finding employment or until the finances are divided on a final basis, with a lump sum component to deal with your future needs.

An important point to remember is spouse maintenance is not Alimony which is an American term and does not apply in Australia.

We can assist in such matters by:

  • Providing advice as to your likely entitlements
  • Negotiating with your former spouse on your behalf
  • Providing advice if your former spouse is seeking payment of spousal maintenance from you
  • Initiating Court proceedings seeking Orders with respect to spousal maintenance

We offer a full range of legal services around the area of Family Law

Our Team at Advance Family Law are committed to providing expert and ethical advice to our Clients in all aspects of Family Law. Learn more about Our Approach. Along with questions relating to spousal maintenance, we can assist with:

In all cases, wherever possible, we aim to eliminate or minimise the need for Court.

We offer a complimentary obligation free 15-minute telephone consultation with one of our Gold Coast or Logan family lawyers for those seeking professional legal advice concerning spousal maintenance issues.

Spousal Maintenance Gold Coast


Parenting Arrangements

Property Settlements

Domestic Violence

Divorce & Separation

Dispute Resolution

Spousal Maintenance

Binding Financial Agreements

Child Abduction

Child Support

Grandparent Rights

Pet Agreements

Consent Orders

Need advice? contact us